Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Curse of the Eight Ball...

This is just an update of what's been going on lately.

In writing news, I'm very very close to being finished with my "Everburn" book. I'm probably two short chapters from the end, but unfortunately I've run into some unexpected writer's block. I really should have learned this was coming by now, but for some reason it still takes me by surprise.

Basically, a good analogy of what I'm going through usually happens to me when I'm playing a good game of pool. I could be running the table for the entire game, but when I get to the eight ball, inevitably I'll either scratch or call the wrong pocket. When I get to the end of a book, unfortunately sometimes my writing style starts to go downhill. It's like I feel the pressure to finish but for some reason I can't get myself to do it. Eventually I'll work my way through it and come up with something good, but for now I've hit that point again where I'm not "feeling it." I'm hoping to finish my book by the end of the week, but I'm not going to force it. Still, I think I'll feel much happier when I do.

When I finish the book, I decided that I'm going to take a week or two off of writing to relax and brainstorm. I'm trying to decide if I want to work on the next book of this series or start on something totally new. Normally, I would continue with the series, but, the problem is, I don't want to burn myself out on the steampunk genre. I like it too much to do that. So, I'm thinking of maybe turning my attentions back to the horror genre for a little while. I've always had trouble coming up with a novel length horror story, but from what I understand, my short horror stories are usually stellar. (My very first attempt at a horror story to submit to an anthology was accepted right away.)

Speaking of horror stories (and that one specifically), "Courting Morpheus" is finally finished. I got my first copy of it in the mail about a week ago. I have to admit, I'm glad to finally see that it came to fruition, and it looks pretty darn good. "Hemophobia" is the first story that I wrote specifically to submit to an anthology. That was nearly four years ago, so seeing it in print is kind of like seeing an old friend again, dressed for success. I've read most of the stories in "Courting Morpheus" already and enjoyed them. Please, show your support and pick up a copy. It's worth it.

Anyway, that's what's been going on right now. I guess it's back into the fray. I've got a book ending to try to write, chores to do, and a party to plan for my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment