Monday, February 1, 2010

Anthologies, The Eyes of the Dragon, and Goals

I'm glad to say that I finished my story for the Zombie Zoology anthology just in time. I also think that it went better than I expected. Hopefully I'll hear some good news about it, but good news or not, I'm proud of myself for finishing in time. It looks like I have my work cut out for me for the next six months. I've picked out sixteen new anthologies to try for, and I've also picked out a few e-zines to submit to as well. Hopefully I can at least publish a few more stories by the end of the year and build up my short story resume. Wish me luck.

As for the agents, all I've gotten so far are more rejections, but I'm not going to let that stop me. Someone will eventually accept my work and I know they'll be glad that they did.

I also finished "The Eyes of the Dragon" today. I'm not going to write a full review, but I will say that I really enjoyed it. Stephen King is a very versatile writer. I like the fact that it had the feel of an old fairy tale and had some of the old fashioned fairy tale cliches (the wizard wakes up the night and a two headed calf is born somewhere in town, etc.). The only complaint I have is that the description of the time Peter is in the tower is tedious to read, but I think that's done for a reason. Peter is trying to build a rope to escape strand by strand and there's a long chapter to describe it. I think you're supposed to feel the tedium with him. I was pleasantly surprised by this story overall, but was kind of disappointed in the ending, because I wanted the fairy tale to continue. I guess in a way it does in "The Dark Tower" series, but wanted to hear the fates of the other characters, particularly Thomas since he had grown on me by the end of the book.

I was a little disappointed because I really wanted to submit to the "Steampunk Reloaded II" anthology, but it's only taking reprints. (I should've noticed that on first glance, but sometimes these things do slip by my very low perception.) Still, I'm not going to let that stop me from writing my own Steampunk story to submit somewhere else. I got really excited about it because I've always liked Steampunk and have only tried my hand at it once. I wanted the opportunity to do it again and to have my work looked at by a writer I respect, but if I can get it published somewhere else, maybe I'll have that opportunity if there's a Steampunk Reloaded III. (Speaking of, I think I'm going to ask for "City of Saints and Madmen" for my birthday in March.)

Still, two more anthologies due by the end of February or not, I'm writing a Steampunk story anyway as though I had a deadline to meet. I'm going to eat, sleep, and breathe, Steampunk until Valentine's day. And, I can't think of a better to take a break from Cyberpunk/horror. When I'm finished, I'll put a caption from it on the blog as a writing sample. I'm looking forward to it, and I hope you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment