Monday, March 15, 2010

Writing Goals and General Thoughts

Well, I'm glad to say that things are going a bit better for me this month. As I've already told you, my short story "Marrow" is going to be published, and I've been submitting several of my homeless stories into anthologies that I'm waiting to hear back from. I found out that many of my short stories are a lost cause as they are right now. (Looking at the writing style, I can't even believe I wrote some of them because they're so bad, which is bittersweet because now I know I'm getting better.) Still, I've found a few that are still salvageable and I'd like to get some of those into circulation since it seems a shame for them to sit on my computer unread.

In terms of writing news, I'm most proud of the fact that my Steampunk/Fantasy story, "Everburn" is coming along very well. In the last month I've written about 20,000 words in "Everburn" and I still have a long way to go. For some reason, I've been very inspired to write lately--not that I'm complaining. Working on my short Steampunk story reminded me of the "Everburn" story, and so I switched writing Steampunk by itself for writing Steampunk with more Fantasy elements. So far, I'm enjoying it very much.

This story started out small like my "Eternity Game" short story. I started getting more ideas and expanding it, and now I have enough ideas for the making of another trilogy. I have higher hopes for this series because I know my writing style has improved since the completion of my other novels. Still, I don't plan to give up on my "Eternity Game" series either, since I still think the stories are enjoyable enough to be published.

Going to the book store gave me hope. I started looking at the new best sellers and found them to be wanting. If some of those ridiculous concepts can be published and somehow also managed to become best sellers, then I know my novels, being better, have a very good chance. I know my work isn't stellar. I still have a long way to go in terms of experience and developing my style. And, as I've said before, there's also always something new to learn and improvements to make, but I can tell that some of my ideas are better executed and more interesting than a few of those new novels that are already successful. But, as always, I just need someone to give my work a chance.

Other than that, I'm getting ready to celebrate my twenty-eight birthday party. It should be a fun weekend, but it's hard for me to believe that I'm already almost thirty. Still, thirty won't be a bad age when I get there. I already know I don't miss high school. (Speaking of, my ten year reunion is also this year. Where does the time go?) I miss college sometimes, but I knew I was ready to be out of college when I left. Looking back on it, I should have stayed longer for my Masters degree, but like I said, at the time I had my fill of it. Maybe one day I'll have enough writing behind my name to become a professor at USC and teach a class on "creative writing." I think since I've struggled so much starting out, by that time I should have a lot of good advice to give to aspiring writers.

Sadly, I discovered through reading Stephen King's "Insomnia, this quote from Cemetery Nights, rings very true in my life, "Each thing I do, I rush through, so I can do something else." I really should try to stop occasionally, relax, and enjoy one thing at a time, with the confidence of someone who knows that God is in control. In my head, I know He's in control, but sometimes I just rush though life, then turn around to realize time has already outpaced me. Letting go and relinquishing the illusion of control is one of the things I need to work on most. This week, I'm going to try to do just that by picking up painting again, a hobby that is relaxing, takes time and patience, and exercises creativity. It should actually make me slow down enough to relax. Wish me luck.

Well, I'd better go so I can do some more work around the house and to start on my writing for the day. Like I said, I need to work on my time management so that I can work on that painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment