Thursday, July 8, 2010

WoW a contest...

I just figured out a way to make my World of Warcraft addiction work for my writing as well. There is a World of Warcraft writing contest due around mid August and I'm going to enter.

I'm actually really excited about it. I've had an idea for a World of Warcraft short story, or at least a similar idea, for a little while now and it seems I finally have an excuse to put it to paper. My story is about a human that turns into a forsaken. He's from Raven Hill, before the entire area began to be known as Darkshire. While he's being changed into a forsaken by an alchemist in Undercity, Jitters finds the Scythe of Elune, and the main character's world changes forever. (I actually already have an outline written, but I don't want to spoil too many of the surprises...) It's going to be a very dark story, but it seems most stories involving the Forsaken would be.

I've got a lot of work to do on this story, so this will probably be my only blog entry this week. Still, it's nice to take a break from brainstorming about the next novel to write a short story every now and again. I'd love it if I could win this competition because it's a worldwide writing contest. Heck, I'd just be happy to have an honorable mention. Still, I know that probably isn't likely, but either way I think I'm going to have a lot of fun writing the story. I'll probably be doing that most of today.

Since my review of a few stories in Stephen King's "Skeleton Crew" has been pushed back, I think I'll just wait and write the review of the entire book at a later day. I'm getting through it slowly but surely, and there are plenty of good stories to review in it. It think it would be a shame not to at least gloss over a few of the ones I read recently.

Oh yes, speaking of free time and reading "Skeleton Crew," the beach trip went very well. I haven't had such a relaxing trip to the beach in a long time. It was a family trip, but most of the time we were reading, watching movies and television shows, and staying in the house. I did go to the beach and did some swimming. Even though I'm a little squeamish about dark water, it was pretty fun. We went to one shop at Broadway at the Beach where I got a Christopher Walken T-shirt that says, "I have a fever and the prescription is more Cowbell," based on the Saturday Night Live skit. There was a nice fireworks display for the forth of July, and for once, I really did feel like working on my writing. I got most of the outline for this contest written up while I was there, along with a few more notes for the new novel. All and all, a very fun and relaxing trip. It was just what I needed. I hope the next one goes as well.

Well, I'm off to do some writing and WoWing. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment