Sunday, September 6, 2015

Achieving Zen

Well, a lot has happened since I've written on this blog.  First of all, I had my baby on July 29th, about a week and a half early.  Honestly, I was ready.  This pregnancy was a little worse than the first one and it seems that she was as ready to get out as I was to have her.  The delivery went much better than the first time.  I handled the pain pretty well and actually did correct breathing without even taking a class to figure out how to do it.  (I was basically breathing through my teeth like when you hit your knee against something...apparently that was 'great technique.')  I only started screaming when they started pressing on my midsection to stop the bleeding afterward.  That was excruciating in comparison.  Anyway, she's very healthy and strong and was seven pounds.  We named her Faith Alyssa.  Another beautiful little girl.  I'm a lucky Mom.

The reason this post is entitled "Achieving Zen," is because now I have to perfect the art of balancing two children, a two year old and a one month old.  Luckily, I have a lot of help from my family, but I'm trying to figure out how to do it by myself.  On some days, I feel overwhelmed, and on others I achieve a Zen-like state and feel like I'm Super Mom.  On days like that, I manage to more than meet their needs and still have the time to write and take care of the house.  I need to figure out how to do that on a regular basis...

I don't know how, but I've still found time to write, and so far it's working out well.  My story "The Romance Star" is going to appear in the anthology "Game Fiction 2."  It was heavily inspired by Katamari Damacy and possibly one of the strangest and most fun stories that I've ever written.  Please, when it is published, check it out.  If you like video games, you'll love stories inspired by them.  There are probably plenty of stories inspired by video games that you've read that just don't advertise it.  Anyway, it was a pleasure working with Gold Shader Publishing.  They were very professional and prompt in their responses.  I'm proud to be a part of the project.

Other than short stories, I'm still working on my "Junior Investigator's Club" series.  I've reworked the first story and completed outlines for almost all of the first five books.  I'm about halfway done with the third story "Big Bad Wolf" as well.  I sent the second story, "The Scarecrow," to my contact in Penguin.  Even if he doesn't feel the story is "for them" I might get more useful advice.  My first contact at Penguin told me the first story "The Grim of Black Pond" was overwritten.  Now that I started working on it, I can see what she meant.  I fixed it and I think the changes make it a stronger story.  I think after changing so many things about it, it's ready for a second chance.

Anyway, wish me luck.  I've got a lot of things to balance now, but I know I can do it.  I am very happy with my family, my house is more organized than it's ever been before, and I feel better than I have in a long time.  I'm going to keep working hard and praying and I know that someone will want my young reader horror series.  I just have to not give up.  I don't plan to.

No comments:

Post a Comment