Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Proofing, Thinking, and Rambling

Well, I couldn't think of anything for the new anthology. I tried, but I'm running out of time so I don't think I'll be able to come up with a good enough outline. I think it would be better to not write it than to write something pathetic just so I could turn something in. Still, that's okay. Like I said, lately I've had a bit of writer's block.

It's odd, but I've noticed I get into different things when I have writer's block. It's like my imagination needs to wander to prepare to write again. I get more into video games during that time, sometimes trying to look through the main character's perspective (in RPGs or adventure games).

For instance, since I've done just about every quest in Oblivion, I've picked of Morrowind and found myself immersed in the story. Also, during these times, I'm much better at planning out table top role-playing games. It's like a different side of my brain is working. I even get more into the symbolism of movies, novels, etc. I guess I kind of get a little OCD-like too, because the house stays immaculate most of the week. Even though it's kind of annoying because I feel like I'm not working, I won't complain. Thankfully my writer's block is usually about two weeks to a month, rather than for months on end.

I started proofing the third book, "DeKryptian" today. Hopefully Joel will enjoy "Blood Ties," the second book of the series. I'm kind of glad he hasn't started it yet, because it can be a little tedious to read the same book over and over again, proofing it several times in a row. This way, when he gets through reading "Blood Ties" I'll be tired of "DeKryptian" and welcome the break. Lol.

A few nights ago, I beheld the wonder of Netflix. That is awesome. We ordered "The Crow" since we've never seen it, and Joel is streaming tons of movies and TV shows through his X-box. We watched "Arachnophobia" the other night. That was fun. I had forgotten how much I like that movie. I first saw it in high school, and because I'm terrified of spiders something about that movie gave me enough courage to try to kill them. I'm not scared of all bugs, but roaches and spiders give me the creeps.

We're also watching Inspector Gadget at night before we go to sleep. Even though the cartoons are much worse than we remember them, it still gives me a warm fuzzy feeling of nostalgia to see them again. Lots of cartoons are like that, though. I'm just glad to have the luxury of watching TV again occasionally. I don't like to do it often, but the main reason we gave it up entirely was because cable is way too expensive. We pick up our news via an antenna in the attic and the internet. That's the way I like it. But, having movies at our disposal is nice. When your focus is media arts in college, you tend to like movies.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated on the writing and the agent hunting. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment