Thursday, July 16, 2009

An Addict's Introduction

My pen name is Nancy Gray and I'm a writer. (My pen name used to be Angela Gray, so for those of you following the two anthologies I mentioned in my bio, that will be the name the stories are published under.) I write horror, science fiction, and fantasy, and sometimes a combination of genres also known as "speculative fiction." Still, don't let the idea of speculative fiction scare you away. I'm in it to entertain myself and others, not to make a point or "seem clever."

When I decided to start a writing blog, one of my friends reminded me of something important. He told me as a new writer to reflect on "why I write." I've put some thought into this question and now think that I have an answer for it.

I'm addicted, and I'm not ashamed. I'm addicted to writing because it frees the stories trapped in my mind. It puts form to my imagination and allows me to create my own world that can be enjoyed by others. It's a way to convey an image that can be enjoyed by everyone, like designing a roller coaster and watching others ride it.

I've always had an overactive imagination, and allowing it to take control is freeing, allowing me to escape with my readers for just a moment into a world that offers more than the mundane. That is why I write, and that is why I hope you'll read. Welcome to my blog.

2 comments:

  1. Great first post! Looking forward to reading anything and everything you post.

    ReplyDelete